3/7/2017 - Historical marker for Aiken Training Track to be unveiled Sunday at Historical Society meeting
The Aiken County Historical Society will unveil an official State of South Carolina historical marker for the Aiken Training Track on Sunday.
In addition, horseman Barry Doss will talk about the Training Track during the organization’s winter general meeting at 3 p.m. at the Aiken County Historical Museum.
The meeting is free and open to the public.
A reception will be held following Doss’ presentation and the unveiling ceremony for the marker.
Built in 1941, the Training Track is a facility for thoroughbreds. Champion racehorses that have spent time there include Kelso, Shuvee, Pleasant Colony, Swale, Forty Niner and Storm Song.
Blue Peter, the champion 2-year-old male in 1948, is buried under the large live oak in the Training Track’s infield.
he 75th edition of the Aiken Trials will be held at the Training Track on March 18. The marker will be unveiled again between the third and fourth races.
The Historical Museum is at 433 Newberry St. S.W.
The Training Track is at 538 Two Notch Road.
Dede Biles is a general assignment reporter for the Aiken Standard and has been with the newspaper since January 2013. A native of Concord, N.C, she graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.